UKBA (United Kingdom Border Agency) and British Council has made recent changes to immigration rules that would impact student visas to UK (Tier 4) Indian students, planning to study overseas in UK are now required to prove their English Language capability through a number of tests known as SELT (Secure English Language Test).
As described by the UKBA, the popular SELTS that are acceptable in the UK are:
The level of SELT required to gain entry into UK on study visa are:
|LEVEL OF COURSE||EQUIVALENT NQF LEVEL||LEVEL OF SELT REQUIRED||EQUIVALENT IELTS SCORE||EQUIVALENT TOEFL SCORE (IBT)||EQUIVALENT PTE SCORE|
|Foundation course/Pre Diploma/Diploma/ Advanced Diploma||4 to 5||B1||4.0 in each module||Listening-13 Reading-8 Writing-17 Speaking- 19 TOTAL SCORE- 57||43 in each module|
|Bachelors/ Graduate Diploma/ PG Diploma/ Masters/ Research||6 to 7||B2||5.5 in each module||Listening-21 Reading-22 Writing-21 Speaking- 23 TOTAL SCORE- 87||59 in each module|
- The new Student Policy of UKBA further says that:
- B2 in each of the four disciplines is the appropriate level for those coming to study at level 6 (undergraduate) and above.
- B1 is the appropriate level for lower courses, including the Pathways.
- In order to get a visa, those outside of universities will have to present a test certificate from an independent test provider proving they have attained that level; universities will be able to vouch for a student’s ability where they are coming to study at degree level or above.
- UKBA will waive this requirement for truly exceptional students only following individual requests by university academic registrars.
- UK Border Agency Officers will be able to refuse a migrant who cannot speak without an interpreter.
FAQ’s on the English Language Requirement for UK student visas (Tier 4)
In how many days can I get the result of SELT?
The IELTS and TOEFL may take a maximum of 14 days. PTE declares the result within 5 working days.
What is a Pearson Test of English or PTE?
PTE Academic is a computer-based academic English language test aimed at non-native English speakers wanting to study abroad. It tests Reading, Writing, Listening and Speaking.
What are the registration fees for SELT?
The registration fees are different for the different SELT:
- IELTS TEST FEES : INR 7,600/-
- TOEFL TEST FEES : INR 7,425/-
- PTE TEST FEES: INR 7,650/-
Where can I take the test?
What should I carry along with me at the time of test?
You should carry your passport at the test centre to prove your identity.
For how long is my score valid?
The scores of the three SELTS mentioned above is valid for 2 years.
Where can I find more about UK admissions and visa?